Thursday 9 February 2012

Why Homebase is a physical manifestation of Hell on Earth


The only (and by far the worst) job I have ever had was at Homebase. I won't mention which one; if I don't get a good reference out of my two and a half months of labour in that place then I will probably have an existential breakdown at such an outrageous waste of almost one hundred hours of my time. Yes, that's right, I was only there for two and a half months. I know what you're thinking—a spoilt middle-class white teenager can't handle a little bit of hard work, he's too busy lying in bed in his pyjamas masturbating and watching repeats of Pointless on bbc iplayer (not at the same time though, no matter how good-looking Alexander Armstrong may be), and while this is irrefutably true... Homebase was really really bad, okay. Just trust me on this one.

On my first day at Shitbase I was shown around the shop by a balding middle-aged depressive named Brian, who sported a wispy monobrow and an expanding waistline. I thought he must have been on the verge of suicide when I first met him. One of the first things he said to me was when he pointed to the balcony overlooking the shop floor and said, 'try not to jump from there when it all gets too much, I know it can be tempting.' Okay Brian, thanks for the heads-up in the first twenty-five minutes that I have ever worked, ever.

In fairness, I can see why he chose to work there. If one wants to share their misery with other hopelessly miserable people then what place better than one where couples have their marriages tested to breaking-point over the idiosyncrasies of the Dulux colour chart. (Seriously though, voluptuous red or seductive crimson? This is important people.) Then there's the question of whether a cylindrical or a rectangular lampshade will ultimately give maximum feng shui to the spare bedroom. Oh and don't forget about heart-wrenching conflict over whether or not one should buy the floral duvet set or a checkered duvet set. (It's a no-brainer of course, flowers are gay and checks are awesome.)

After the customers had been through this brain-numbing ordeal, they had to pay for their ridiculous items through me, the checkout worker. And they were never happy. Its probably because buying items such as paint samples and paving slabs is the most tedious way to spend one's hard-earned money. Anyway when they got to me they responded to my small-talk like I had just eaten the miscarried foetus of their unborn grandchild and burped the remains obnoxiously in their face. They were horrified. Little alarms went off in their heads: 'oh god what are those noises the checkout boy is making? Can those things talk? I thought it was all self-service now.' This was when I did actually try to make small-talk. In fairness I usually tried to zone out, avoid all communication and pretend I was working on the checkouts in Habitat across the road. One can dream.

Anyway I hated Fuckbase more than life itself. It was the most monotonous, banal and brain-shittingly dull waste of my oh so precious time. I went back there the other day. I stopped outside the door; I was terrified about going in. All those sad people arguing about nothing while the bored staff pretend not to look or are too busy fantasising about working in Habitat or are lamenting the financial state of Habitat and how it went bankrupt and now even their dreams are dying slowly. But I pumped myself up outside the shop. Come on, I said to myself, it can't be that bad; you're imagination makes it sound worse than it is. So I did eventually go in, and the first thing I saw was Linda, a checkout worker probably around fifty years old, and as she walked past me to return a shopping basket from her checkout I noticed that she was crying. She was a fully grown adult woman and she was physically sobbing with grief at having to work in such a place. Seriously. Fuck Homebase.

No comments:

Post a Comment